If you want to feel good from head to toe, sport is simply part of it. But no sweat, no gain. And it has a direct effect on your complexion. Getting your body going has many benefits for your skin. But there are also a few things to consider. Which care before and after training is ideal? Come on, we'll get your skin fit for the workout!
Get the Glow: Beautiful skin through sport
Fitness for the skin
Quite apart from muscle building and a better condition, sport causes a whole lot of other reactions in your body. The blood circulates better, you sweat and several hormones are released at the same time. All of this affects your skin, too.
Better blood flow
After training, the skin looks nice and rosy. The stimulated blood circulation boosts the supply of oxygen, minerals and antioxidants. Your skin needs it for cell renewal and to ward off free radicals. Regular exercise ensures that your skin always receives a proper nutrient boost. This promotes their regeneration . And skin that diligently regenerates ages less quickly.
Sweating flushes out the pores
Heavy sweating might not feel that tingly right now, but just think of all the positive effects! Sweating is our natural air conditioner and garbage disposal all rolled into one. It flushes all the impurities and waste products of cellular metabolism out of the pores. This is how your skin cleans itself from the inside . The only important thing here is that you don't put anything in her way - keyword cosmetics, but more on that below.
Sport relieves stress
Stress promotes the formation of free radicals, which, among other things, attack healthy skin cells. Therefore, it is good to find a stress balance. Moderate exercise is ideal. The hormone cocktail that your body mixes carries you straight into the emotional happy hour.
- Endorphins : Their name is derived from morphine (endo= inside + morphine = morphine from within). They are actually an endogenous pain reliever, but like the drug they also have a slightly euphoric effect. So you lull us contentedly, even when the muscles burn.
- Serotonin : The happiness hormone has a brightening effect on mood. So if you're wondering why it's so easy to smile after a workout: it's serotonin. It rewards you for your effort.
- Stress hormones such as adrenaline and cortisol also come into play, but only for a short time. This is how the body learns to relax again after training. So he practices a healthy stress response during workouts. Important: Don't overdo it, otherwise the effect will reverse.
Extreme sport means stress for the skin
If you do very long or extreme training without practice, the positive effects are reversed. This also applies to competitive sports with extreme loads such as marathons or triathlons. Sweating for hours, perhaps still in the wind and sun, not only pushes the skin's defenses to their limits.
In addition to physical exertion, there is also pressure to perform. As a result, the body releases significantly more and longer stress hormones. More free radicals are created and the blood vessels constrict, which reduces the transport of nutrients. As a result, the skin cannot counteract oxidative stress enough.
☝️ Often asked: What is athlete's acne? This form of acne mainly affects competitive athletes and those who help with pumping with remedies. It is true that we release more testosterone during high-intensity training, which stimulates the skin's oil production and can lead to impurities. However, athlete's acne usually occurs in connection with hormone preparations. As a hobby runner, you don't have to worry.
Find the right balance when training
Your skin loves gentle endurance sports such as walking, jogging, cycling or swimming. Staying in fat-burning mode or low-end cardio is ideal. Depending on your age, that's around a heart rate of 135 beats per minute.
💡 Heart rate zones are a good guide to training intensity. They are calculated based on your age. Training heart rate calculators are available online, for example from Bergfreunde .
Of course you have your own training goals or certain workouts that you enjoy. So if you really want to push yourself to the limit, you don't have to do without it. For the sake of your skin, find a good balance of short intense workouts and longer moderate workouts. Or complement your sports routine with a relaxing yoga session that gives your body a clear message: Now you can calm down again.
Expand your skin care expertise now!
Receive useful skin care tips twice a month for a better skin balance and relaxed skin.
You can also benefit from exclusive discounts that we have for our readers.
The right skin care for sports
What can you do to optimally support your skin during sport? Proper care, of course. That's how it works!
Before sport 💁♀️
- Ideally, you remove your make-up. However, if you want to look particularly good in the studio and don't want to do without make-up altogether, use mineral make-up . It doesn't clog pores and doesn't run when you sweat.
- When exercising outdoors, your skin needs protection from the elements. When the sun is out, sunscreen is a must. In winter, keep your skin from drying out with a waterless balm (because water freezes!).
At sports 🤸 ♀️
- Hygiene is particularly important where you share sports equipment with others. Disinfect mats, fitness equipment etc. beforehand and do not touch your face during training. It is better to take an extra towel for your face with you for the workout or the sauna afterwards .
- Also make sure you drink enough ! After all, moisture is also replenished from the inside.
After sport 🧖♀️
The skin is well supplied with blood, the pores open: Now the skin absorbs care products particularly well, but is also more susceptible to drying substances. First of all, however: In order to avoid pimples, you should take a shower immediately after exercising.
- So shower lukewarm, not too long and with mild surfactants. At least now it's time to gently but thoroughly remove your make-up .
- If you exercise in the evening, now is a good time to exfoliate . It supports regeneration and optimally prepares the skin for care.
- Pamper skin with a hydrating face serum . Sweating often continues for a while after exercise. That's why a light serum is now more comfortable than oil-heavy cosmetics.
Conclusion : With the right care, you can also keep your skin in top shape during sport. And she wants to be kept 😉, so it's time to stay tuned. Exercise moderately rather than irregularly. It is well known that the ultimate motivation is to meet up to work out.
So grab your girls and let's sweat!